Management of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra says it is not true that the maternity block of the hospital has been gutted by fire.
The clarification follows a viral video circulating on social media around 11pm on Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
The minute video, shared by one Maxwell Akpabli showed nurses at the maternity ward of the hospital, attempting to evacuate some newly born babies from a room believed to be on fire.
In the commentary on the video, the male voice alleged that although the Ghana Fire Service has been called, personnel are yet to arrive on scene.
Again, viewers were asked to come to the aid of hospital staff and the babies if they were interested in helping.
More Details pops up after court hearings today on the Kasoa 10-year-old boy Murder
But rubbishing the claims, the Public Relations Officer for the Hospital, Mustapha Salifu described it as an exaggeration.
According to him, an air-conditioning system at the doctors’ restroom caught fire, but the situation was quickly contained.
“The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).
“As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.
“We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury.
Ashiaman Police On Manhunt for some Nine inmates who escaped from the Atadeka Police cells
Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff. We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism,”